Motoring Means Independence
It means the freedom to come and go, to shop, to work, to get the kids to school. It means staying in touch, making a difference - and getting more out of life.
Using your allowance to pay for a new car is an important choice for the life you plan to lead. And Motability is your perfect motoring partner. For thousands of people with disabilities, and their families, it's the key to trouble-free motoring.
Motability takes care of the practicalities, including -
a single, regular payment which includes insurance, maintenance,
roadside recovery and routine servicing at no extra cost
a unique Customer Services helpline
- so you can enjoy the freedom of the road.
How the Motability Scheme works
There are three main ways in which Motability can turn your mobility allowance into the travel solution for your needs.
- A new car on a three-year contract hire lease.
- A new or used car on hire purchase, over a term of two to five years.
Most of our customers choose contract hire as they find it's the best option to obtain and pay for a brand new car. They like the convenience of a single, regular payment that includes comprehensive insurance, maintenance and breakdown cover.
Eligibility - Who can apply?
To be eligible for any of the Motability schemes you must be receiving one of the following benefits:
Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance
War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement
- You should ideally be in receipt of either allowance for the full length of the agreement you choose. But don't worry, you may still be able to join even if your allowance has not been awarded for the full length of the agreement.
An application for a car can also be made on behalf of a child aged three or older, who is entitled to the mobility allowance, and even if you don't drive, but receive the allowance, you can apply for a car as a passenger and propose two other people as your drivers.
Once you have chosen which scheme you wish to join, you then agree to pay over all, or part, of your allowance to Motability Operations or route2mobility, depending on your choice of car/wheelchair, for the duration of the contract hire, or hire purchase, agreement.
Your mobility benefit can go a long way
Contract hire means worry-free motoring
Most Motability customers choose contract hire as the best way to obtain and pay for their car. Contract hire offers worry-free motoring and the convenience of a single, regular payment that includes insurance, maintenance and roadside recovery.
Your contract hire lease has been developed through our long experience with millions of Motability customers. It comes with peace of mind built in.
Once Motability accepts your application, the advance payment and weekly rental are price protected. This lasts for three months from the date your agreement is printed - provided that the car description on the agreement is not altered later.
Your contract hire lease price, which will vary according to the make and model you choose, includes:
- Comprehensive insurance cover provided by Royal & SunAlliance 'Motability' (R&SAM).
- Full breakdown assistance provided by the RAC.
- Servicing, maintenance, and repairs - which you must arrange through a Motability dealer - at no extra charge to you.
- An allowance of 45,000 miles over the three years of your agreement (Additional miles in excess of 45,000 are charged at 10p per mile at the end of the three-year lease period.)
- If you choose optional extras that aren't fitted as standard to your chosen car - such as a CD player - they can not be included in the lease cost. You must have them fitted by your supplying dealer and pay for them yourself.
- The hire purchase option
Although it has many advantages, contract hire isn't right for everyone.
You might prefer hire purchase if you:
- want to buy a second-hand car
- need adaptations and would prefer not to have to re-install them after three years, although we can offer an extension to five years
- regularly cover high mileage (i.e. well above 45,000 miles over three years)
- The price guide shows some typical hire purchase repayments - depending on how much you borrow and the repayment period you choose.
If you choose hire purchase, you negotiate the actual purchase price with your Motability dealer. However, it's important to remember that you are also responsible for comprehensive insurance, breakdown recovery and less predictable costs such as repairs and servicing, which are all included in the contract hire lease.